Hey its good to see you could join the hostboard so quickly. Sometimes there is a delay when you first sign up. They must have worked all the kinks out
The guys here will have some good advice on what kind of cabinets to build for those
Cleaning out the garage rafters last weekend. Forgot I had these stashed up there. Been up there 30+yrs and probably haven't been hooked up to anything since the mid-60's. I never heard them as a kid growing up since Dad hadn't built cabinets for them. He never got around to that as raising us four kids kept him and Mom pretty busy.
Thought you all would enjoy seeing what they look like.
Enjoy.
Guess I can only upload so many. Sorry, newbie here.
Hey its good to see you could join the hostboard so quickly. Sometimes there is a delay when you first sign up. They must have worked all the kinks out
The guys here will have some good advice on what kind of cabinets to build for those

that's great stuff to start off with. if I had 5000$ i'd offer it. but you'd be a fool to take it. the 755Es sound awesome. but the As are legend.
JE Labs Arkiv: WE/Altec 755 Part 1
check out part 2 I used his idea for cabinets
Sonic Barbarian
Thanks guys. Good to be here.
I didn't realize it until a little while ago. I've actually been an Altec listener for a long, long time and didn't even know it!
I used to have speaker housings that were from my dad, hung in the garage.
Like these in this picture I borrowed from the web.
They were big and space started to become an issue so I took them down and replaced them with some Infinity Infinitesimal's which were about 1/2 the size. I never knew what was inside the big brown boxes, just knew that they sounded pretty nice. I gave them to my brother since he's got a big shop to put them in. Don't know if he's using them or not. As kids, Dad let us hook up his McIntosh amp and old Fisher tuner to one of them so we could listen to FM radio back in the early '60's.
Wow! Reminiscent of the pristine '57 fuelie 'vette found in a barn........ Thanks for sharing!
GM
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Sonic Barbarian
Looks like they may have changed the kind of paint they put on them over the years.
Mine are a lot more 'crinkle' paint looking than those.

Not hammered silver and green?
Sonic Barbarian
One of mine is pictured in the first post of this thread Phil.
It's more brown than green.
I'm pretty sure mine are older than the ones on ebay.
I could be wrong though.

i really have only seen the older ones in pictures. probably won't unless I find a bucket of Hamilton's. GM or one of the old guys here. could tell you.
if you read thru the link I sent earlier there's a paragraph that mentions this, most likely you have western electrics
(This 8" full range driver has achieved "cult status" amongst audio aficionados. The most desirable version are the ones branded with the Western Electric logo with the frame in smooth silver or textured charcoal greyish brown finish. The mounting gasket always had 5 - 8 quality control stamps showing the tight tolerance procedures excercised in their manufacture. The later Altec branded 755As only had 1 or 2 stamps but essentially looked the same and came finished in either textured charcoal greyish brown or silver hammertone. A lot of silver Altec 755As served as the midrange/tweeter unit in Edgar Vilchur's AR-1 speaker.)
Last edited by Phil-G; November 18th, 2016 at 11:07 PM.
Sonic Barbarian
Bookmarks